My little girl loves gummies!
Particularly the ‘fruit snacks’ packs many of you have probably seen in the supermarkets. Why not make your own?
I found a recipe that I tweeked to give a slightly less gelatinous mouth feel. Though I still believe that they could be improved upon, the following recipe will do for now.
GUMMI WORMS OR BEARS!
12 tbsp sugar, separated
½ tsp citric acid, or 1 Tbsp lemon juice, separated
2/3 cup juice concentrate #1 (5oz)
2/3 cup juice concentrate #2
8 Tbsp corn syrup, separated
8 Tbsp unflavored gelatin, separated (57 grams)
*(Or 20 sheets silver gelatin, separated)
Food coloring, optional
1. Prepare 8×8 pan, or other molds by spraying very lightly with cooking spray.
2. Place 4 tbsp gelatin in ¼ cup cold water to soften for about 5 minutes.
- Alternately, place 10 sheets gelatin in ice water to hydrate.
3. Place juice concentrate #1, 6 tbsp sugar and 4 tbsp corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
5. Stir in the hydrated, and squeezed (if using sheets) gelatin and continue stirring until gelatin dissolves.
6. At this point add food coloring if desired.
7. Pour into prepared molds and leave until completely set, 4-6 hours at room temperature or 1 hour in the refrigerator.
8. Repeat procedure with juice concentrate #2.
11. At this point add food coloring if desired. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan.
12. Pour over other flavor layer and leave until completely set, 4-6 hours at room temperature or 1 hour in the refrigerator.
13. When set, turn out of pan and cut with a sharp knife, or pizza cutter, into long thin strips to resemble worms.
I plan on experimenting with some hydrocolloids to achieve my own desired consistency. If anyone out there experiments in the meantime, please post your findings in the comments box! I always look forward to hearing from you!